Not sure what to bring with you to the festival? Have limited bag space? Here is my top ten must have things and my top ten optional things to bring into a festival. Now this list might be different for some people and every festival packing list differs a little but these are the things I have found most useful in my experiences. Also note that these are just things I pack well in the festival grounds. This does not include camping supplies I have listed in my Top Ten Festival Camping List or obvious things like tickets and money. Feel free to leave your suggestions in the comment section. Enjoy
Top Ten Must Have Items.
- Hydration pack or water bottle: Keeping hydrated is crucial to lasting an entire festival weekend. Every festival ground has a free refilling station. I like hydro packs because they double as a day bag. Just make sure your allowed a hydration pack on the grounds before you enter.
- Comfortable Shoes/Clothes: Your going to be doing a lot of walking and standing. If your wearing skin tight jeans and biker boots your not going to last 10 hours of shows outside in the sun. Sacrifice fashion for comfort. You’ll be sorry if you don’t.
- Baby Wipes: Instant shower that keeps you fresh. A must if your camping.
- Flash light or headlamp: Have you ever tried going into a porta-potty in the middle of the night. There is no on light you can switch on and those things get messy.
- Toilet Paper: The stuff they stock in the morning runs out fast.
- Light sweater or jacket: The temperature Drops when the sun goes down. I have found one more useful than not in my experiences so i always have one handy. Its a life saver if it rains.
- Sunscreen: Unless you like sunburn and skin cancer i suggest you apply this stuff generously. 6 hours outside in the sun will fry you.
- Camera: I know this doesn’t seem like a necessity but I can’t picture going to a festival (or traveling period) without it.
- Sunglasses: See above under sunscreen.
- Day bag: How else you are going to carry all this stuff. Plus if you buy merch inside you don’t want to carry it around and risk losing it our ruining it.
TIP: Sometimes a change of clothes can be a life saver. Shorts During the day pants at night.
Top Ten Favorite Optional Items.
- Sunhat: For the same reason as the sunscreen and glasses but this one isn’t going to ruin your weekend if you leave it at home.
- Umbrella: Sometimes rain is the best part of the festival. Sometimes its not.
- Small blanket: Have an hour between sets? spread it out on the grass and have your lunch.
- Bandana: Dust can get bad at some festivals. It also works well for wiping the chilli of your hands or dipping it in water and wearing it around your neck to cool down.
- Smart phone: I’m usually against bringing in a phone with me. I don’t want to be the guy texting or facebooking well watching a band. But if you manage to get a good reception it does help find your friends. Also most festivals have a festival app for smart phones. Some festivals like lollapalooza even post real time give aways on facebook and twitter where they give you a booth or stage to go to and hand give away free stuff.
- Mister or fan: They just feel good in the heat.
- Costume or glowsticks: They’re just fun. And a costume can really help you thrive socially a festival. You’ll meet a lot of cool people.
- Swim trunks. They’re cool and comfortable and some festivals have a fountain or water slide you can cool down in.
- Zip lock bag: If the rain does come throw your phone or wallet in it. trust me my phone was ruined on the last day of Lollapalooza 2011 Just stuff one in your day bag and forget about it until you need it.
- Small notebook: Write down contacts of new friends you meet or something you don’t have time to check out the first day but want to the second.
TIP: Carry cash and stick your credit card deep in your day bag. If you get into a bind and need some emergency money pull out the card. Festival ATMs come with a decent fee.
So there you have it. my list of must have festival items and a few optional ones. Feel free to share your list below.